Longboarding is fun and a great way to get back into shape, or stay in shape. Even though it isn’t as intense as skateboarding, you will burn calories.
Longboarding helps you lose weight and burns between 300 and 400 calories an hour, depending on the type of board you ride. The harder you push a longboard, the more calories you burn. Skateboarding will burn the most calories.
I remember when I started cruising around town to test a couple of board, it was actually pretty exhausting! Let’s see how longboarding can help you lose some pounds. Just be aware that there are different longboard styles, one is better for weight loss than the other. It should be about fun though.
- 1 How Many Calories Does Longboarding Burn?
- 2 Is Longboarding a Good Exercise?
- 3 What Are the Benefits of Longboarding?
- 4 What Muscles Does Longboarding Work?
- 5 Skateboarding vs Longboarding Workout
- 6 Can I Longboard if I’m Overweight?
- 7 Do Longboards Have a Weight Limit?
- 8 A Healthy Diet is Key
- 9 Final Words
How Many Calories Does Longboarding Burn?
According to research by Harvard Medical school, People who weigh between 125 and 185 pounds will burn between 300 and 444 calories per hour. Now, this may be less effective than running or cycling, it sure is a fun way of burning calories.
On average, longboarding burns between 240 and 420 calories and hour, that’s 4 to 7 calories a minute. If you ride an hour every day, you will burn between 1680 and 2940 calories. The latter is 500 calories short of burning 1 pound (0.5 kilograms) a week.
Not bad for a fun exercise, but you probably won’t be riding every day. Beginners will feel sore, though you’ll probably burn more because you’ll still have trouble balancing on a board.
The lack of skill and technique will contribute to burning fat at the beginning, at the expense of cramps in your feet. Just consider it a mild workout. The most important thing is still the stuff you eat and drink.
Remember that the harder you push, the more you will burn. Top quality bearings will make it easier to maintain velocity and don’t rule out quality wheels. Also, crappy bearings and wheels will make the workout more intense.
Keep in mind that calorie estimations are not accurate, it really depends on your body type and how fit you are. It’s an estimation after all so a calorie calculator and even apps won’t give you accurate measurements.
Is Longboarding a Good Exercise?
Longboarding is a cardio exercise which means it will make your hard beat faster resulting in a stronger cardiovascular system. For those who don’t want to go for a run or cannot grab a bike, longboarding is an excellent alternative.
Sure, you won’t burn as much calories, but you’ll have fun and learn a new skill. As aforementioned, there are different longboard styles, some are pretty intense.
- Cruising: usually done on a smaller longboard/skateboard and requires you to push more often. Harder to keep up for an hour.
- Longboarding: typical longboard with larger wheels and a longer deck. Requires you to push less and easier to do for an hour.
- Longboard dancing: Pretty intense and probably comparable to skateboarding. It involves skill and endurance.
- Downhill: the rush of speed by bombing hills. Requires lots of experience and skill, not something beginners should do.
- Slalom: Involves lots of carving and pumping, which can be quite exhausting.
- Free ride: Similar to downhill but at lower speeds, lots of sliding and spins. Not for beginners.
Beginners probably are better off by just longboarding or cruising. Along the way, you’ll find out what you like the most.
Keep in mind that you can experience cramps in your feet. Because you’re not used to pushing a longboard and probably will have some balancing issues at first, it can lead to some minor inconveniences. This will go away in time, just take a break a few days a week to recover.
Once you become more skilled, cramps will go away. Just stay hydrated and avoid stomping your push foot while riding.
What Are the Benefits of Longboarding?
Not only is longboarding a fun and healthy exercise, it will contribute to your overall mental health. You get to be outside and catch some vitamin-D and perhaps there is a local longboard community you can hang out with and make new friends. Here are a couple of benefits:
- Increased muscle strength and stamina
- Free vitamin-D
- You get to be outside
- Improves the quality of your sleep
- Make new friends
- Improves your mood, and the endorphins reduce stress
- Get your blood and adrenaline pumping
What Muscles Does Longboarding Work?
Longboarding won’t give you that killer body, but it works more muscles than you’d expect. Obviously your legs will do most of the work, but you’ll also train your core, including your abs.
Just by balancing on a longboard, you are already doing a workout. Once you learned how to pump, it becomes even more intense. Pumping requires not only your legs but also works your core. It’s difficult to master, but with some effort and time you’ll get it.
Carving, pushing, slowing down and speeding up involve lots of muscles. You will sweat, guaranteed! Here are some muscles that longboarding work:
- Triceps: a large muscle on the back of the upper limb of many vertebrates
- Biceps: a large muscle that lies on the front of the upper arm between the shoulder and the elbow.
- Deltoids: the muscle forming the rounded contour of the human shoulder.
- The Trapezius: the large triangular shaped muscles extending over the back of your neck and shoulders
- Rectus abdominis: Your abs, a paired muscle running vertically on each side of the anterior wall of the human abdomen
- Latissimus dorsi : a large, triangularly shaped back muscle useful for stuff like swimming and pull-ups.
- Obliques: The external abdominal obliques are a pair of broad, thin, superficial muscles that lie on the lateral sides of the ab region.
That’s the gist of it. After your first session, or the next day, you’ll probably feel sore depending on your overall fitness. It will go away in time and it just means you are getting stronger.
Skateboarding vs Longboarding Workout
Skateboarding and longboarding are quite different. Longboarding is more about endurance and skateboarding is way more intense, but it depends. In general, skateboarding burns more calories. Let’s quickly go through the differences:
- Skateboarding requires more pushing and more balance where longboarding is easier and less exhausting.
- An hour of intense skateboarding can burn up to 800 calories depending on your weight, but you won’t be able to keep skating for an hour straight.
- Longboarding is great when you want to learn how to ride first.
- Longboarders are less likely to get injured.
Can I Longboard if I’m Overweight?
Yes you can longboard if your overweight, a quality longboard can handle lots of abuse but make sure your board is not too flexible. Too much flex will make it very hard to learn how to ride!
Check out the best longboards for heavy riders if you want something than can handle your weight. All the longboards mentioned are quality builds and not that cheap Amazon stuff. Not too much flex, quality components, and reliable boards.
Do Longboards Have a Weight Limit?
While some claim that longboards can handle up to 250 LBS, the reality is that it really depends on the quality. Some board can handle more than others, but it’s not like you’ll snap a longboard in half when just ride around town.
Like I mentioned before, don’t get a board that is super flexy. It will make it harder to balance and might feel uncomfortable, you’ll still be able to ride it though.
A Healthy Diet is Key
I probably don’t have to tell you this so let’s keep it short. You can longboard all day and still not lose weight. Eat your vegetables, fruit, and try to stay away from sugary drinks and snacks. Eat lots of protein to build up muscles and as a bonus, protein help to burn fat. Less calorie intake means you’ll lose weight, even eating 300 less than what you need will help you to lose weight.
Get enough sleep and recover so your body can get used to working out. Don’t go all in, take it slow. If you want to lose lots of weight in a short period, you’ll probably burnout.
You can still eat fries and burgers once every while, just make sure to compensate!
Longboarding is a fun and healthy exercise. You’ll train your legs, butt, abs, stabilizing muscles in hips and back all work hard. There aren’t many workouts as fun as longboarding or skateboarding, this will keep you motivated.
It’s cheaper than a gym membership and you can do it whenever you want, unless when it’s pouring. Just make sure to start slow and gradually build up. You will sweat after 15 minutes of longboarding so grab a backpack and bring some water.
Most workouts are often boring and repetitive, I’m the type of person who buys a yearly gym membership and will give up after a few weeks. Not with skateboarding or longboarding, that stuff never gets boring. In the end, the best workout is the one you enjoy.